Dear PM Advisor, Reading through your post about How to plan a project I like the way you get people to sign up for responsibility at a task level using dots and circle-dots. But what if a person owns a task but also contributes to it? Do they still get a circle-dot?
Dot in Morristown, NJ
The best way to conduct the Responsibility Matrix session is like this:
- Place all the tasks (Activities) on the x-axis
- Place all the Team members on the y-axis
- Ask those present: "Who is actively contributing to this task's completion?"
- Note those raising their hands
- Place dots at the intersections of those people's name and that task.
- Ask of those who contribute: "Which of you takes responsibility for the completion of this task?"
- Place a circle around that person's dot.